Thursday, August 21, 2008

Rock Band


This is my Rock Band bass pedal. About a month ago, we had the unfortunate happening of it breaking -- snapping in half if you will. Apparently, this is a common problem with the drum kit, and it costs $125 to replace the kit, regardless of what is broken. so, I took it upon myself to figure out how to fix it (or at least try).

I got some 2400psi strength epoxy with two applicators. I proceeded to apply the epoxy around the break so I could hold it while it cured with the idea of adding more later. Well, after it "set" so I could put it down, I grabbed the epoxy bottle again and tried to keep applying this magical compound. To my surprise, the resin had hardened IN THE APPLICATOR. Thankfully I had one left, but I soon realized that I wasn't going to be able to salvage the rest of the epoxy if I tried to save it, so I proceeded to completely fill in the pedal on the bottom to reinforce the weak spots.

The shiny part in the middle is my resin masterpiece. The circle in the middle is where the spring goes, and thus the stress point of this PLASTIC pedal. I'm hoping by slathering the resin all over this thing it will hold up to some more abuse. Only time will tell... I have to wait until around 8pm tomorrow to try it out :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

bLoNdEyE said...

for future situations...might I recommend Mighty Putty (I got some at bed, bath, and beyond; and it works great!)